Skip to main content

Featured post

Online sales can generate 780,000 service opportunities in Pakistan.

India gas leak: At least 13 dead after Visakhapatnam incident

At least 13 people have been killed by a massive gas leak at a chemical plant in southern India, with 800 others taken to hospital.
The leak from the LG Polymers plant in the city of Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh state came as people slept.
Doctors say patients have been complaining of a burning sensation in the eyes and difficulties breathing.
Areas around the plant have been evacuated. The leak may have been due to negligence, officials say.
Reports suggest initial attempts to control the gas leak were unsuccessful but the company and state officials say the situation is now under control.
LG said in a statement it was investigating the cause of the incident, and was looking at ways "to provide speedy treatment" for those affected.
Rajendra Reddy, a senior official in the Andhra Pradesh Pollution Control Board, told the BBC that the leaked gas was styrene, which is usually refrigerated.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi called an emergency disaster meeting.

My eyes were itchy.

The leak took place at around 03:00 local time (21:30 GMT Wednesday) as the plant was being re-opened for the first time since 24 March, when India went into lockdown to curb the spread of coronavirus.
"All those who have been hospitalised are currently stable," BK Naik, a local health official, told Reuters news agency. Doctors say 86 patients are being treated on ventilators, but many injured have been discharged.
Legal action is being taken against the company, says state Industries Minister Goutam Reddy. Earlier, he told BBC Telugu that it looked as though proper procedures and guidelines were not followed when the South Korean-owned plant was being re-opened.
"We would like the company to proactively respond to the incident and ensure that the same level of responsibility is taken if this incident were to happen in EU or United States," he said, adding that the incident had been reported to the Korean embassy.

Swaroop Rani, a senior police official in Visakhapatnam, told AFP that the plant had been left idle because of the lockdown.
"[The gas] was left there because of the lockdown. It led to a chemical reaction and heat was produced inside the tanks, and the gas leaked because of that."
Local villagers complained around 03:30 and police immediately went to the scene, but had to quickly retreat for fear of being poisoned, the news agency quoted her as saying.
"One could feel the gas in the air and it was not possible for any of us to stay there for more than a few minutes," she said.

As the gas spread, residents ran out of their homes in panic. Distressing images of people fainting and dropping unconscious on the streets are being shared on social media.
"My eyes were itchy, and I was feeling drowsy, light-headed and slightly breathless," Yashwanth Saikumar Ambati, who lives about 300 metres from the plant, told Reuters.
Officials said the fumes had spread over a radius of about 3km (2 miles) and people from surrounding areas were evacuated.
Although a large number have been admitted to hospital, most should be able to make a recovery, they added.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NCC meeting will decide future of lockdown this week

ISLAMABAD - Minister for Planning, Development and Reforms, Asad Umar on Sunday said the National Coordination Committee on Corona-virus would decide about the future course of lock-down after analysis and observations to be presented by National Command and Operation Centre (NCOC). The meeting would be held this week with Prime Minister Imran Khan in the chair, to decide the post-May, 9 scenarios in the country. Addressing a televised press briefing here, Asad Umar said the NCOC would share all its analysis about corona-virus in the meeting of NCC. “We do not follow the West blindly and the future decisions would also be taken according to our own ground realities,” he remarked. He said keeping in view the growing number of deaths in the country, the people should adopt strict protective measures against COVID-19. He said for the last six days, on average, 24 people were dying of the disease daily but still, the disease had not proven to be as chronic as in Europe and the ...

IAF MiG-29 crashes near Hoshiarpu in Punjab

HOSHIARPUR - An Indian Air Force (IAF) fighter jet has crashed in Punjab today (Friday). According to media reports, the Russian made fighter jet has reportedly crashed in the Rurkee Kalan village in Hoshiarpur district of Punjab, however, the pilots ejected before the plane went down. As per reports, after the mayday situation, the pilots crashed the plane in an open field. The aircraft had developed a technical snag and the pilot ejected safely as he was unable to control the aircraft. The pilot has been rescued by a helicopter. A court of inquiry has been ordered to investigate the cause of accident," the IAF said.

Indian troops martyr key freedom activist in occupied Kashmir

SRINAGAR - In occupied Kashmir, Indian forces martyred one of top freedom activists Riyaz Naikoo and his associate Aadil Ahmed during a cordon and search operation in Pulwama district, on Wednesday. Naikoo, who is considered as successor of Burhan Muzzafar Wani, was gunned down by Indian troops during a "fake encounter" in his native village at Beighpora Awantipore in the district last night. According to Kashmir Media services, the authorities have suspended mobile internet services in the entire occupied territory and curfew like restrictions have been imposed. The 22-year-ol Wani was killed on July 8, 2016, in what many human rights defenders see as an extrajudicial killing.